Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happily Never After?

Have you ever watched a movie, a tear-jerking movie, that just made you want to curl in the fetal position and spend the rest of your day/night in bed, stuffing fistfuls of milk chocolate Hershey kisses, in between sobs? For me, it's Armageddon, Titanic and now, Ghosts of Girlfriend Past - my mother's choice.

I know, the title makes it sound like a comedy, not a tear-jerker but trust me, do not be fooled. Although it was comedic at times, the overall message brought me to tears. Of course, it had to do with love (what else would make me blubber like a child?) and how if you're not careful, sometimes we can make the biggest mistakes and take the most important people for granted. Fate isn't always so kind and doesn't always bring us back to that path or person to realize this and right our wrongs. There is no Michael Douglass or ex-girlfriends (in my case, boyfrienD) to break through our (or my) tenacity to warn me, that if I keep on the path I'm going, I'll wind up a lonely spinster and only have one person at my funeral. Unfortunately, I am left alone and without guidance (apart from friends and family) to make my own love mistakes. The idea of winding up alone, never finding someone else to really care about, and never getting married (not that I want to but the option for me to refuse would be nice) scares me shitless. The upside is that after $10.25, a bag of popcorn and a monster diet coke, my mother seemed to enjoy herself and today, that's all that matters. Still, so many thoughts are running in my head and I've never been so terrified of being single, now and or indefinitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment